Sunday, June 22, 2014

Too Much Digital?

I admit it: I like technology. And I’m probably too into it, but I can justify it

I used to have a Palm Z100, which kept my calendar and my contact list. Except, as you can imagine, it was starting to age, and I knew it was going to flame out in epic fashion (I knew that because my previous Palms had done the same thing) soon. I had to find something new, but no one had anything like that—small, kept things in order, just ran itself, I could plug it in every couple of weeks and charge it. While trying to figure out what to do, I went out to Denver to visit the kids for a few days. At lunch, I was complaining to the younger one – and by younger I’m talking my late-20s tech guru child – and she just looked at me and said, “But mom, your phone is due for renewal, and if you get a smartphone it can handle both the phone stuff and the other stuff.” A light went off and when I got home I went looking at smartphones. The salesmen were fascinated by the Z100, which I still carried. They had never seen one. And ultimately, I did buy a smartphone, which I have a love/hate relationship with.

For a lot of my work, especially from home, I use a laptop, to which I have attached a second monitor, bigger than that on the laptop, so I can compare documents. Plus, the larger monitor is just easier to read. But when I need to print I usually send the document to myself and then print off my husband’s PC. What can I say, I don’t keep a printer on my system. I don’t print that often so I use his technology, which does things I don't have, to fill in the gaps. I think I need to work on how to send things wirelessly to the printer so I can skip that middle “mailing” step. It would so suit my need to be digitally up-to-date.

The Tablet Rules Things 

And then there’s the tablet issue. My husband and both of my daughters own iPads. They love them. But I work in a Windows world most of the time. I didn’t want an iPad. Plus, I suspect I’m just anti-Apple (my smartphone is not an iPhone). I’ve worked with Macs in the past, but not recently, and they’ve changed a lot. Plus, I work mainly in Word, PowerPoint, and PDFs. I really didn’t want to deal with programs that have to be converted back to what I actually need, or have to set up a mirror site that would allow me to work more easily with programs that don't run as well on Apple technology. Plus, the iPad seemed a bit addictive. My husband is always carrying it with him from room to room, and checking it for odd trivia all the time. I didn’t seen an iPad coming into my life.

But Microsoft came out with the Surface. It’s a little bigger than the iPad, but thinner. And it had real versions of those programs I needed. And my birthday, a major one, was coming. Plus, Sandy had just hit and the mall, with its Microsoft kiosk, was open.. So we started to look at that. We went back to the kiosk at least 3 times, and finally I broke down. After all, the rest of the world had apps, why shouldn’t I? So, I have a Surface (yes, I’ve had it for a while).

I took the Surface with me to a client’s office one day because they don’t have a computer for me to use and sometimes I have to check references. I took it out, put in the codes to hook into their servers, and the next thing I knew I had a crowd around me. No one had ever used a Surface, anywhere, or even tried to use one--they actually hadn't even seen one in the "flesh" so to speak. But, they were fascinated by it. Plus, there were a couple of people who won’t buy Apple, and they wanted to know how it worked.

I’m not sure I was right to get it, but the Surface, over which there have been numerous online comments for and against, has definitely fulfilled a need I didn’t know I had. First, I took it on the plane with me and was able to work while traveling, with no problems. I even wrote a couple of blogs in the air. Then, I had more entertainment for when I was tired of reading. I downloaded apps that I actually use; and for the ones I download that I find I don't use, except in my dreams, I can remove them really easily. If I have questions, I just stop by that kiosk in the mall (which is now a big store with even more technology offered) where I bought it. They’ve been doing a booming business, and their people are very helpful. I don’t need an appointment in the back for everything. I’ve even called the online tech staff and they have been pleasant. It’s been a nice change from some of the support personnel I’ve dealt with. And for all of you who are upset about the Start button…really? It’s not a big issue. Once you learn where it is, you’re fine. Get over the issue


Is there too much digital in my life? Probably. Do I enjoy it? Definitely. And can I put it down when I have to? Absolutely—or maybe not. But the question is: Do I want to?

No comments:

Post a Comment